Saturday, November 6, 2010

Playdough & Hot Cocoa

Lily came to visit today.  We love Lily days.  She and Tris have so much fun and we do crafts!  Today we made homemade playdough (thank you mommy!) and homemade hot cocoa!

I have a ton of memories growing up of my mom, but the main thing I remember now that I am a parent is all the time she spent entertaining me.  Growing up it was just expected of her to play with me and entertain me all of my waking hours.  As a mommy myself I realize that must have been exhausting for my mom.  I have some pretty big shoes to fill.  As a Nani she is the same, tireless, entertaining (for all ages) and creative.  I was going through my recipes today and came across the homemade playdough recipe she gave me a long time ago.  Lily, Tris and I made it and they had a blast.  Thanks momma for always taking time to make memories, I hope that I am 1/2 the mom to my kids that you are to me.  I love you.

Making the recipe is simple. 
1 cup of flour
1 cup of water
2 tablespoons of oil (any kind)
1/2 a cup of salt
2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
food coloring

Mix all of the ingredients in a sauce pan, cook over medium heat until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan (on medium heat this was about 5 minutes for me), put on the counter and knead.  Refrigerate for storage in a zip lock bag. Keeps forever.
 I didn't think to take a photo before the kiddos combined their playdough!  So here is the giant ball!


It's such a cool recipe because you know what is in it, it takes just a few minutes to make and can be used forever!

Then while enjoying The Princess and the Frog we had homemade hot cocoa.  Here is the recipe I found on www.allrecipes.com .
Ingredients:

3 cups milk
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate, grated
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg
Directions
1.Put milk into a microwave-safe container and cook on High in microwave for 2 minutes. Mix in chocolate, sugar, and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk an egg until smooth, then mix it into the chocolate mixture.
2.Return to microwave and cook on High for 3 to 4 minutes or until foamy (be careful not to let it boil.) Whisk until smooth and pour into 3 mugs. Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you!!!! Have been meaning to look up a recipe for hot chocolate that wasn't just how to make dry mix and have been too lazy to do it. :) Now to see how it works with almond milk... I guess if it blends right, it will just be almond flavored cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking I needed a good playdough recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete