Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I'm so lazy

When John and I were first married {probably for the first year}, I made his lunch every day for work.  Somewhere along the line, kids, jobs, and life happened and he started making his own meals!  I feel like as a wife {more specifically as a stay at home wife and mom} my job is to serve my family.  Making sure they are fed and wearing clean underwear is generally on the top of my list.  I came across a stupidly simple way to make sure my hubby gets a super healthy breakfast each morning and a way to make his lunch every day.

First of all, homemade Egg McMuffins.  I cook the eggs in a muffin tin on 350* for 20 minutes {I add a couple of small dashes of hot sauce to the top of the eggs before I put them in the oven}, about 5 minutes after I put the eggs in, I put in 12 english muffins {cut in half} in the over for the remaining 15 minutes {just till the edges are brown}, then once they are done cooking I put a little dab of butter on the english muffins, place the egg on top, put a bit of cheese {John likes pepperjack} and the put the top on.  Then you put them in the freezer uncovered for 1 hour.  Then wrap in tin foil {tightly} and store in the freezer. When you are ready to eat them, just pop them in the over for 20 minutes at 350*.  I get up 20 minutes before John and stick them in the oven and then go back to sleep!  Don't microwave them, they are still edible but it makes the eggs rubbery.  They save really well for up to 2 weeks.

***Then comes lunch***

So I was reading my absolute fave magazine ever...Family Fun.  I'm not a big magazine person, but I always renew this subscription.  It is full of great food and craft ideas for the kids.  Anyway, it talked about ways to make lunches simple.  One mom said she put cheese and turkey {or whatever meat you like} on bread and wrapped it tightly in foil and froze {again, they save pretty well up to 2 weeks, though after about 9 days they start to get a little freezer burned}.  Super easy.  Then I put mayo in a little container so John can jsut grab a sammy and a container of mayo and it'll be thawed by lunch!  The mom who wrote about it also said that she did it with PB&J for her kiddos lunch!
  
What kind of time saving things do you do for your family?

1 comment:

  1. I should start pre-freezing sandwiches again, I think the last time I did a bunch was getting ready for when Kyra was born so we had them to take up to the hospital. :) I've never thought about having the little containers of mayo ready but that's a great idea! I want to try the breakfast sandwiches too. Hummus and pureed avocado are good on frozen sandwiches to seal the bread and give them a little pop too.

    ReplyDelete