Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pumpkin Pie? Yes please!

So today I decided to make pumpkin pie from a pumpkin. I've never done this before so I went to www.allrecipes.com and looked for a pumpkin pie recipe that sounded good and went to town!

First you gut the pumpkin and carve all the stringy stuff out and throw it away.





Then you chop the pumpkin up into chunks and put it into an inch of water and boil it, then turn it down to a simmer and let it simmer for 30 minutes or until you can poke it with a fork and it feels soft (kind of like a potato). Drain it, let it cool & cut all the skin off of each chunk, mash with a fork (just like a potato).




Then you drain the water (I had to do this a few times) and put 2 cups of the mashed, drained pumpkin in the mixer with 12oz of evaporated milk, 2 eggs, 3/4 of a cup of brown sugar (packed), 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 ginger & 1/2 tsp of salt. Blend it all together. It will be wet looking and will have pulp.

Then you make the crust. You mix 2 & 2/3 cups of flour with a tsp of salt. Cut 1 cup of shortening into flour, add 1 tablespoon water to mixture at a time. Mix dough and repeat until dough is moist enough to hold together (usually about 1/2 a cup of water).
Then with lightly floured hands shape dough into a ball. On a lightly floured board roll dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. With a sharp knife, cut dough 1 1/2 inch larger than the upside down 8-9 inch pie pan. Gently roll the dough around the rolling pin and transfer it right side up on to the pie pan. Unroll, ease dough into the bottom of the pie pan.



Then you pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie pan till it's just below the top and bake for 40 minutes on 400*. I had to cook mine for more like 55 minutes.
and Voila!

1 comment:

  1. Very yummy looking! I've always roasted my pumpkin, I bet boiling would be easier. I'll have to try. I do crustless pumpkin pies instead (they have a little bisquick in and form their own "crust") because I'm lazy and neither of us are big on pie crust anyway so I can get away with it. :D

    ReplyDelete