Friday, October 8, 2010

Welcoming Piper Leeanne

In July when I was 36 weeks 3 days pregnant, I started having nightly contraction sessions. They lasted anywhere from 1-4 hours and were about 4 -12 minutes apart. It was definitely preparing my body for labor. I was induced with Tristan, never felt a contraction, never felt the urge to push. Just floated through it. Now let me say there is NOTHING wrong with having an epidural, but for me, after having Tris I realized I didn't get to experience birth, so with Piper I wanted to do it naturally.Let me rephrase that, I wanted to whole heartedly attempt to do it naturally. We had our wonderful friend and doula, Shari with us at the hospital to guide and encourage us.

We arrived at Mt Hood Hospital on Tuesday, Aug 10, Dr Carter broke my water bag at 7:45am (she said I had a water bag of steel and had to break another section of it a couple of hours later). By 11am I wasn't contracting strong on my own and so they wanted to start pitocin. I was really hoping to avoid pitocin b/c I know how hard it makes your contractions and I was trying to avoid an epidural at all costs. At any rate, our absolutely amazing nurse Barb started me on pitocin at 11:30am. She said started me on 2 (I don't know the measurement) of pit and by 2pm I was up to 4 of pitocin, she said usually they do up to 20 of the pit. So I was grateful that she was so respectful of my wish to do it without an epidural and in turn she eased me into the pitocin. About 2pm I started to really feel contractions. They hurt. Like a really bad period when your back is broken. :) I decided to get in the bath. Shari had brought some candles (battery operated ones) that she put in the bathroom. I got in the tub and was in there about 20 minutes when I told John that things felt different that I felt like maybe I could push soon. At this point I was making noises I've never made in my life. So about 2:30 I started to get out of the tub, sitting hurt, standing hurt, breathing hurt....you get my point. I told John I wasn't sure I could do it. I wasn't sure I could go without the pain meds. He said I was doing great. At this point I had made up my mind that when Barb checked me, if I was 7cm or less that I would go for the epidural. There is no way I could go through that for more hours. Barb checked me and I was 7-8cm. Ugh. So disappointed. She had me roll on my left side and suddenly I was in some serious pain, different. This is less than 10 minutes later, maybe less than 5 and so Barb checked again and I was 9cm dilated. They called Dr. Carter, brought in all the birth stuff. Everyone except Barb & Pat (my amazing nurses), my mom, John and Shari were left in the room. I was hot, making some seriously primal noises, mainly screaming or yelling and John gave me a cold rag on my head...HEAVEN. This is about 4:15pm, I held the towel over my face and dr carter told me to start pushing, which I was going to do with or without permission. At this point I said that I wanted an epidural (not gonna happen), no one answered me and I realized that I was stuck. I couldn't have the pain meds I wanted and I HAD to do this. I really wasn't sure I could. But within 5 contractions, a heck of a lot of pushing, praying and begging for strength, Piper emerged. lots of dark hair, a crying mommy, daddy & nani. She cried, then snuggled up on my chest. A bit later, like maybe 30 minutes later, Pat helped her to my breast and she latched on like a little pro! Tris didn't nurse, he and I couldn't get the hang of it. Piper took to it like we'd been doing it forever!

Jen Jacobs, I've got to tell you, THANK YOU for posting your birth story last week, I read it in the hospital before "serious" labor started again and it really really helped prepare me for some of what was coming. You're an amazing woman!

My dad and mother in law came in to meet her and brought Tris. John said, buddy, this is your little sister, the one who was in mommy's tummy, what do you think? Tris said, "she's great!" I loved that. Someone (or someone's, I can't remember) suggested that we have a gift or 2 for Tris from Piper for him to open when she arrived. This was a genius idea! He met his little sister and then my mom gave him the gifts from Piper, after he had opened them, he went right over to where she was to tell her thank you! It was so sweet. He held her and kissed her. Just like I imagined!

She had a really bruised face from coming out so quickly, it's looks a bit less swollen and purple today. Her white blood cell count was up as was her temp, but they think it was caused by stress because she flew out of there. Her temp was lower and more stable through the night, so they'll do another CBC at 7:30 or so this morning.

I am super excited that I was able to deliver her without pain meds, but it was not by my own strength. I seriously was talking out loud to Jesus the entire time I was in real labor! Shari was a wonderful support, she was so calming and helpful...even if I did tell her to not talk! Sorry Shari...I didn't mean it! :) My mom was amazing, hearing her voice was just what I needed. John couldn't have done a better job. He clearly wanted to take the pain but obviously couldn't. He did everything right. It is in these moments that I realize how unbelievably luck I am to have married him. He is everything I need just when I need it. I hope I am 1/2 the wife to him that he has been to me. The nurses at Mt. Hood are like having your family take care of you. Barb, Pat, Casey and whoever I'll have the privilege to have today, THANK YOU. You make this a place that is like NO other hospital. You're caring demeanor, your sweet voices and pretty much everything you do, make this a place I never want to leave. Thank you for making this such a positive experience!

God is good, Piper is healthy, Tristan and daddy love her and I am in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment