Friday, October 8, 2010

RIP Boopa The Beta

For about 3 weeks we've noticed Tristan's beloved fish, Boopa the Beta, doing some funny things, like ONLY swimming at the top of the fish tank (John explained to me that when fish are dying their "air bladders" fail and they float...lovely). So for literally 3 weeks we've though Boopa the Beta was dying. Tuesday right before we left for karate, I noticed Boopa was swimming nose down in the rocks at the bottom of the tank...but he was still breathing...When we came home 45 minutes later, Boopa the Beta was very very dead. I mean super dead. So John and I took Tris in his room and explained to him that Boopa was dead. With the exception of my folks dog (who died 2 years ago when Tris was really little) Tris has never known anything or anybody to die. So this was a tough concept. He cried and was sad and then asked if he could touch him before we properly flushed him down the toilet.

Then I told Tris we could get another fish. To which he replied "does it have to be a fish?" Before I could respond, my husband did. Below is how the conversation played out:
John: "We can go to the pet store on Saturday and see what kind of pets they have, you don't have to get a fish."

Tris: "Can I get a snake." (Now he is less sad.)

Mommy: gasping and attempting to run in the room before daddy answers

Daddy: "Maybe, we'll go see on Saturday."

I love my sweet husband for wanting to get Tris a new pet, but I may kill him...I guess we'll see on Saturday.

At any rate. Rest in Peace Boopa the Beta, thanks for 18 months of making my little man smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment